Ice hockey is a sport played on ice; in this game, collision among the players is common but in order to reduce the risk of severe incidence or an accident, players are required to wear proper safety gear. One of the most important positions in the game of ice hockey is of a goalie. In case a goalie is not properly suited then it can lead to a serious injury. So safety is a must for a goaltender especially in ice hockey. Goaltenders need to buy the best safety gear to save them from any kind of hockey injury; well there have been cases in the past where goaltenders have injured themselves badly.
The necessary equipment
Goaltenders equipment consists of a lot of things there are the ice hockey goalie pads, then there are the chest pads, the goalie gloves, goalie mask and the helmet. To explain it further here is the whole list of all the basic ice hockey goalie equipment and their importance.
- The sports undergarment : This is important to protect the player from the cuts that they can get from sticks. It should be comfortable and should be such that it soaks up the sweat.
- Jock : The jock is also called the cup it is important to protect the area of the groin from sticks. Worn under the hockey pants and it comes in different shapes and sizes according to the gender.
- The knee protector : It is important for protecting the knees as well as the thighs. The knee protector comes in a lot of different shapes and sizes.
- The hockey pants : Useful in protecting the groin, hip, lower back as well as the upper leg and the abdominal area.
- The hockey goalie skates : These are necessary for skating on the ice, they are flatter and straighter. They also provide foot protection.
- Hockey legs pads : Ice hockey goalie pads are important for protecting the legs and the back legs.
- Neck guard : These come in many types and they are used to protect throat and the neck.
- Chest and arm protector : This is necessary for the goalie to protect the chest, arms and shoulders and is also good for protecting the back.
- Goalie mask : This helps in protecting the side of the heard from sticks, goal posts and ice.
The difficult part that the goalie faces is while choosing of the right equipment and as safety is the most important it becomes really important to choose the right goalie equipment.
How to buy the right ice hockey equipment for a goalie?
- The leg pads : They come in light colours and are of two types plastic and metal. The plastic leg pads are mainly recommended for the young players while the metal ones last longer but are difficult for the young ones to handle. The ice hockey goalie pads come in sizes from 26 to 34 inches but for choosing the right goalie leg pad one needs to measure their leg from the ankle to the kneecap and then from the kneecap to the thigh. After measuring these two parts one should add the number and then choose the goalie pad accordingly.
- The chest pads : The goalie chest pads are good for protecting the chest and the heart from getting injured while defending. The chest pads are made up of nylon and have layers of foam around them. These protect the upper body and come with shoulder caps and bicep muscle floaters, the chest pads also include the spine protector.
- The goalie gloves : So there are two types of goalie gloves the catcher gloves and blocker gloves. Catcher gloves are oversized and are worn on the non-stick hand; they have a thumb area and a pre-curved palm and area for individual fingers. The blocker gloves are worn on the hand in which the stick is and are made up of padded leather or synthetic leather to hold the stick. In order to determine the size of the glove one needs to measure with a tape from the end of the elbow to the finger tips. The size of the gloves ranges from 9 inches to 16 inches.
- Buying a goalie mask and a helmet : The goalie masks come in a variety of styles and they depend upon the personal preference of a person. The mask has a stainless steel or a wire cage for a better view and protection. These helmets are made up of a durable hard plastic and most of them come with an adjustable padding for a better fit. The sizing of the helmet differs from manufacturer to manufacturer and they are measured in inches. To ensure safety one should check the fit first and then buy a helmet.
- The goalie stick : The ice hockey goalie stocks are quite large and heavy, they have a 26 inch paddle area and the length of the hockey stick should be according to your size. Never buy a hockey stick which is too short in order to buy the right size you should stand in the skate and the toe of the stick should reach the ground.
Tips for goalies
Do not save money or do budget shopping while buying equipment and safety gear for ice hockey because it is about your safety. Visit a good and reputable shop that sells good and branded sports equipment. Do not buy used equipment and in case you are going to buy used equipment then check carefully. Try the equipment first and check the fit because injuries are common and can occur if the fit is uncomfortable.
After buying the equipment, keep the gear organized and store it in a proper ventilated area. Always make the repairs before going in the ice, it is really important to be careful while using the equipment. Ice hockey is a game of collision between the players so using the best gear to remain safe from hockey injuries is necessary even if you are a pro in ice hockey.